Wednesday, May 14, 2014

A Maker Faire Weekend - The Year of the Maker


By Johnny "Exo" Apostle
Junior Journalist, Reporter and Photographer
Event City Creative Magazine



The Maker's Faire, "The Greatest Show (and tell) on Earth is now the "Year of the Maker" and hundreds of thousands of people will show up and just explore what people have made over the previous year or so. Could be a project they've been working on for their entire lives. People will be coming from all over the bay area and beyond to see and experience the new and incredible items and projects at this year's fair.

Maker Faire a unique festival with new and some of the coolest stuff on the planet you just couldn't believe exists! From Warhammer 40k Space Marine Armor to Hacking Your Brain and my personal favorite for all of you Dr. Who fans, the Daleks!!

There are many things that are going on during this fabulous weekend but let's just start with Saturday. At 10 am to 11am it's Battle Pond VII: Only the Bold Survive! Where they have battleships go into combat and only the best battleships will win and the last ship alive wins the bragging right to call everyone else a loser. Also at 10am it's the Bourn Idea Lab @ Castilleja School where you get to see what young makers have been working on all year long. You will also get the privilege to meet their new robot Sebastian and meet the members of Sebastian's crew! Between 10:30am and 11:30am you can see the Amazing Science at work and their amazing DIY projects one of which are the color changing bubbles OMG! Then from 11am to 12pm it's Curiosity Hacked: The Leaner Controls the Learning these young makers will be on hand to display their great creativity and amazing-ness! It just puts you in a great mood looking at this awesomeness. At 11am to 12pm it's the return of the Life-Size Mousetrap, wow, I really missed this. I was much younger when I first experienced this, I thought it was the coolest attraction at Maker Faire, most of all because I had such a hard time building the board game, it was just too confusing, so watching these guys do their thing, well my thoughts are, they probably mastered this board game huh, what do you think?



Then behold the master of making his teachers hate him it's John Collins the man who holds The World Record Paper Airplane in distance of course. Then a peek at the fashion of tomorrow with ROBOTIC FASHION and INTIMATE INTERFACES I have no idea what this is going to be I just think this is going to be cool in a lot of ways. Let's skip some and go to the tastiest thing at the Maker's Faire PancakeBot: Holy Cow, It Worked this cool little invention came from this maker's daughter and makes amazing pancake art. Couldn't find anything that caught my eye until I saw this the 21st Century Robot which I thought would be cool to see a 21st century robot at work; this will be featured from 5:00pm to 6:00pm. Another tasty treat I will definitely report on, and enjoy it immensely, is Making Marshmallows, it is featured at the fair from 5:00pm to 6:00pm. I chose this because of my love of marshmallows, and anyway, who doesn't love marshmallows? Plus you get to create your own. Enjoy and try not to make a mess.

That's all for now, I look forward to seeing all of you at the Maker Faire this year, and if you see me holding my camera up in your direction don't forget to smile!

No comments: